The Museum in Sveti Nikole preserves, studies and presents the cultural wealth of the Ovcepolie region. The building of the Museum is a protected cultural heritage monument, built in the period from 1924 to 1926. The facility was built for the needs of the municipal administration at the time, so it has been called the old municipal building for a long time. The author of the project is architect Prof. Sotir Tomovski, one of the first academically educated architects from Macedonia.
The building was built in a neoclassical style, popular in this period in these areas, built upon influence of European traditions and European countries. Projected as a well-thought-out functional building for the needs of that time and with its architecture, it becomes a sign and benchmark of the central city area. It serves to house the municipal administrative units, a regional unit of the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy and the headquarters of other social organizations.
The Municipal Museum Collection was established in the year of 1981 due to the selected and presented archaeological material. The museum collection grew into the People's Museum - Sveti Nikole in 1994 with the increase in the collected material and fund of objects. By Decision of the Assembly of the Municipality of Sveti Nikole from October 1991, the object was assigned to the use of the then museum collection, and now the National Museum of Sveti Nikole.
Completely renovated and protected as a monument of the culture, the museum officially was open on August 25, 2002. It has a total area of 464 m2 of useful space. The museum contains the following permanent exhibitions and collections:archaeological, ethnological, historical, the lapidarium, as well as space for occasional exhibitions and events.
Archaeology - In a permanent archaeological setting, artifacts from 5-4 BC are exhibited, which result from the research of the archaeological site Gradiste Slavkov Dol, village of Knežje, known as Bilazora, as well as a diorama of the acropolis (model made in scale 1: 100 on the acropolis in Bilazora, which represents several periods of the Paionian continuum, with the palace being the ultimate architectural solution).
Ethnology - Objects that define the material and spiritual culture of the Ovchepol region, and which define the social life of the population for a period of two centuries, are exhibited in the permanent ethnological display, through folk architecture, traditional furniture, costumes, objects from agriculture, crafts, etc.
History - In the permanent historical setting with the exhibited objects, we capture the Ottoman period, the Balkan wars and the Second World War, using cartographic maps, which define the space and borders and historical events related to the territory of Macedonia, with an emphasis on the military-political networks of the Balkan peninsula for period from 1560 to the second world war.
The Museum is responsible for excavation and presentation of material findings for archeological site Bilazora. Contact: Square Ilinden 18, 2220 Sveti Nikole. Working hours: 07.30 - 15.30. Link from the museum's website: The website is under development https://muzejsvnikole.mk/public/, Link from Facebook page: Naroden Muzej Sveti Nikole https://www.facebook.com/SvNikole.