Kumanovo

 

 

A CITY WHICH WILL NOT LET YOU GET BORED

 

It is a traffic joint, therefore besides railway via Kumanovo and roads pass which lead to Kriva Palanka and Kratovo in the east, Sveti Nikole in the south-east, Juzna Morava Valley in the north and Skopje in the south-west.

City Museum - Am Craftsmanship House

 

The appearance of Kumanovo is consisted of various cultural, educational, administrative and other objects, where various cultural events are performed.

Kumanovo is located in the northern part of the Republic of Macedonia. It is situated in the eastern foothills of Skopska Crna Gora in Kumanovo Field. It has a favourable traffic location.

The settlement had around 600 houses and poor developed economy in 1660. It succeeded to separate itself from the surrounding settlements and started an intensive prosperity in the 19th century. During this period Kumanovo was an important market for cattle and wheat.

The reasons for such a growth of the town are due to its role as an administrative centre and a crossroad of the older and more recent roads which were built during 70's in the 19th century. The construction of the railway in its immediate vicinity strengthened its dominant position in terms of the surrounding settlements. Due to that, it became an attractive immigration place for population of the neighbouring settlements so a remarkable population growth was noted. At the beginning of the 20th century, there were approximately 15.000 inhabitants in Kumanovo. Permanent population growth has been marked after the war. There were approximately 20.000 inhabitants in 1948 to 70.000 inhabitants in 2002.

 

 

Church St. George Staro Nagorichane (1313)

 

Located in the centre of Staro Nagorichane, has one of the most important places in Byzantine Art History in Macedonia. According to the text found in the church, its construction was in 1313 but it was built on the foundations of an older sacred building dating back to the 11th century. Only facade walls in stone block forms and a small fragment from the painting are preserved. The church is a three nave building and it has a form of inscribed lengthen cross covered by five domes. The church is extraordinary because of the original altar partition i.e. the iconostasis is made by stone pillars, blocks and ornamented architrave.

European heritage - The church and its objects are part of the project for reconstruction of cultural heritage in South-Eastern Europe, a joint action of European Commission and the Council of Europe.

The unique ways of making icons in fresco technique is noticed in Macedonia, where on the left and right side from the royal gates are presented St. George and St. Mary of Pelagonia. The everlasting importance of this cultural and historical monument is the preserved painting made by the famous icon-painters Evtihij and Mihailo, the painting was made in paleontological style dating back to the 14th century with emphasized narrative style, but great sophistication and moderate expression.

The Hermitage - Building of the original church St. George (11th century) is connected with the biography of the eremite St. Prohor Pchinski, who lived in a small cave nearby the present church. The hermitage cave is reconstructed and very frequently visited.

 

Kokino

 

Kokino is among the most valuable ancient observatories in the world. The American Space Agency NASA ranged this observatory on the fourth place from the list with 15 observatories of this type worldwide; it is after Abu Simbel in Egypt, Stone Hedge in Great Britiin and Angkor in Cambodia.

Kokino is a settlement in the middle part of Kozjachija area in the north-eastern part of the Republic of Macedonia. There are more neighborhoods in this mountainous village at 680-920 m altitude and it is 31 km from Kumanovo. There is a megalith observatory with great historical, archaeological, scientific and cultural importance on the territory of this village. It is on the top of Tatikjev Kamen. This observatory was accidentally discovered in 2001 and the following year researches were started. This observatory dates back to 1800 BC or more precisely the Bronze Period. It is onto a neo volcanic hill, its rocks were created from the lava of the volcano crater which turned into solid form. Some cracks made by erosion were major markers for following the cycles of the Sun and the Moon and time was measured through them. The rock markers were used to mark rising of the Sun and the Moon during short day, equinox and long day.

The Sun only on equinox (21st March and 23rd September) rises exactly on the east and sets on the west. Then, there is graduation to 45 degrees. The natural markers in the rocks in Kokino imply the Sun rises on the same place every 18,6 years. The observatory is located onto two scale platforms, where planets were observed. Traces of some objects and pieces of ceramics were found on the upper platform. Probably some tribe members had an everyday task to follow the movement of the heaven bodies and to create calendars in order to determine the days for rituals, as well as those calendars were used to start with season work in agriculture and cattle breeding.

Promote your Service

Accomodation

Add up to 3 images.

Validation code:
Enter the code above here :

Can't read the image? click here to refresh.