Highly significant legal obligations of drivers of motor vehicles that also apply to foreign drivers
1. Using headlights to illuminate the roads day and night is mandatory on the roads in the Republic of Macedonia.
Failure to comply with this legal provision is sanctioned with a pecuniary penalty of 45 €.
2. The driver is always required to adjust the speed according to traffic conditions and road conditions.
Speed of movement on the roads in the country is limited as follows:
- At 130 km/h on highways
- At 110 km/h on roads reserved for motor vehicles
- 80 km/h on other roads
- Speed limit in settlements is 60 km/h.
Failure to comply with this legislation, depending on the severity of violation, is sanctioned with a pecuniary penalty from 45 € to 300 €.
3. Towing broken vehicles on public roads must be carried out in the prescribed manner, i.e. with a rope or a rigid connection, or leaning against the towing vehicle loaded.
Failure to comply with this legal provision is sanctioned with a penalty of 45 €.
4. Towing of broken vehicles on highways and roads reserved for motor vehicles is prohibited, unless the failure occurred on that road; however, towing may be carried out until the first interchange from the highway or the road reserved for motor vehicles.
5. The vehicles towing broken vehicles should not move at a speed over 40km/h.
Violation of this law prescribes a pecuniary penalty of 25 €.
6. In Macedonia it is compulsory to use seat belts for drivers and passengers on all seats where the factory fitted a seat belt.
Violation of this law prescribes a fine of 20 €.
7. The permissible level of alcohol in the blood of drivers is 0.5 ppm. Any amount of alcohol in the blood of professional drivers and learner drivers is prohibited (0.0 ppm).
The fine for non-compliance with this obligation varies from 250 € to 400 €.
8. Children under the age of 12 and persons under the influence of alcohol should not be carried on the front seat of the vehicle.
Violation of this provision stipulates a fine of 45€.
9. Using a mobile phone is prohibited while the driver is steering the vehicle.
Violation of this provision prescribes a penalty of 45 €.
10. Drivers of motor vehicles must keep mandatory winter equipment in the vehicle in the period from November 15th to March 15th
Violation of this law prescribes a fine of 150 €.
11. The driver involved in a traffic accident which killed or injured a person, or caused major property damage, must not leave the site unless providing aid to the persons suffered in the accident.
Violation of this provision prescribes a fine of 250 €.
12. The driver to be found, or coming across an accident site, is obliged, at the request of a police officer, to transport the person injured in the traffic accident to the nearest health facility.
Contravention of this law prescribes a fine of 250 €.
13. In the case of committed traffic offenses which envisage on the spot payment of fines, the fine shall be charged by the uniformed police officer, and the fine shall be paid in the nearest bank or post office on the basis of the issued payment order.
14. On the spot cash payment of fines is prohibited, and if the uniformed police officer insists, report this event to the nearest police station.