THE TOWN OF WINE - THE CENTRE OF VINEYARDS
Kavadarci is located in central Macedonia and it presents the biggest urban centre in Tikvesh area. The economy leans to winegrowing and wine production industry, so the grapes are trademark of the city and the region.
Regarding the communication Kavadarci is connected with the magistral road Skopje-Gevgelija as well as with the road running towards Prilep, that is the magisterial road to Ohrid. The River Luda Mara runs through the city. The settlement originated in the end of 17th century, after Austrian-Ottoman War (1689-1690). Located at the traffic road Prilep - Demir Kapija - Thessaloniki, it had appropriate position thus making it attractive for migration of other population from the surrounding.
As an urban settlement it is mentioned even in 1823. In 1857 it was a small town with about 2.000 inhabitants and special economic centre. The population deal with agriculture, trade and craftwork. More expressing growth was noted after the construction of the railway line Thessaloniki-Skopje (1872-1874) when the trade in wine and poppy was developed. Even then Kavadarci has the role of administrative centre for Tikvesh region. In 1879 the administrative seat was transferred in Negotino. Till the end of 19th century the city counted 1.300 houses. By population and by economy the city grew after the Second World War. In 1948 the city counted about 6.000 inhabitants, and in 2002 the number of population increased at about 30.000.
The monument of twelve young people in Vatasha is raised at the place of one of the biggest crimes during the Second World War in Macedonia. The Monument -park was opened on the 11th October 1961. The planted 12 maple trees witness the 16th July 1943 when the Bulgarian occupies shooted and massacre the twelve young people from Vatasha village being at age of 15 to 27 years.
The Memorial Ossuary of fallen fighters during National Liberation Struggle of Kavadarci Region. It was erected in 1976 in one of the best and probably the biggest city parks in Macedonia, at 305 meters altitude with a magnificent panorama towards Kavadarci and Tikvesh region.
Lake Tikvesh is created along the course of the river Crna, before the outflow of the river in Vozarsko Field. This lake is one of the bigger artificial lakes, which occupies territory of 14 square km and is 28 km long and the total gross of the lake is 475x10`rn'. The lake was constructed in 1968 by partitioning the river canyon with 104 meters-high dam, made of clay essence stones. This accumulation is used for irrigation and production of electricity. Today, this lake has obtained a tourist-recreative character and there are larger number of holiday houses and catering objects. This lake is also used for sports fishing. The lake abounds in great variety of fish, especially in catfish, which can be over 2 meters long.
The Island City - The medieval town Tikvesh is located at about two kilometres from Resava village, at the hill of 80 meter height above the estuary of Tikveshka Rover in Crna. In the 3rd century BC there was a settlement being renovated later in the late antique and fixed with towers. Besides the walls, basis of major number of buildings have been found. Only the upper remains from the settlement left after the construction of accumulation lake.
Polog Monastery St. George (St. Gjorgji) (14th century) - the monastery I can be reached only by boat
The monastery is a pearl of the Macedonian medieval art. Built in the first half of 14th century, 20 km southwest of Kavadarci, in the foothills of Mount Visheshnica, it is on the left bank of the current Lake Tikvesh.
The interior of the church is entirely picturesque. It is famous for its XIV century frescos, and even more for the church chandeliers carved in wood, dating back to 1492, which is the oldest dated woodcut in Macedonia.