Kichevo possesses all necessary city functions and it represents an administrative-governing, cultural and health centre in the region. As the only central place in the upper course of the River Treska, it has wide range of influence on the rural area.
Kichevo lies in the middle of Kichevo Valley. It has a favourable geographic - traffic position and it represents a four-way crossroad: on the north over the slope Straza to Gostivar, Tetovo ahead to Skopje, on the south over Preseka to Ohrid and Struga, on the south-east to Demir Hisar and Bitola and on the east along the River Treska to Makedonski Brod and from there over Barbaras to Prilep. It is connected to Skopje via Gostivar and Tetovo by railway.
From Uskana to Kichevo
The ancient name of the city is Uskana. Data for existence of this fortress dating from the early ancient times, nowadays known as Kitino Kale, when Uskana was a border city of Macedonian Empire. The city was well kept and represented a significant military administration as well as trade centre in Byzantines period. The Serbian tsar Urosh II in 1320 was staying here during the Serbian-Byzantine Wars, afterwards Byzantine troops left and the town fell under Serbian governing. Foreign travelling writers from the fourteenth to the fifteenth century mentioned it as Krithchovo or Krtchovo, probably this name was given by the Slays. It was invaded by the Turks in 1385, during Ottoman period it was named Krchovo.
History and Culture
Kitino (Fortress) Kale the fortress dating back to Roman times used to have that shape for about 150 years ago
Kitino (Fortress) Kale is a specific plateau by Kichevo. There was a major settlement with two lines of solid fortresses and several towers. One of the towers is still there. There were found coins from Alexander the Great and Justinian times. The traditional legend says that Kita was living in the castle of the fortress, she was one of King Marko's sisters after whom the fortress and the city got the name. A City Clock was built in the Kale in 1741, which was demolished by Serbian Authorities in 1938. Honored Turkish inhabitants and managers lived there during the 19th century. Only the foundation is left on the fortress plateau. The remaining part is relatively well kept and it is underground.
The monument ossuary was built during 1968, which was dedicated to the victims from the Second World War. In that period, the fortress regained the position of the town's centre. Nowadays, it is an archaeological site and the whole area is a park therefore it is a pleasant place for recreation and socializing during the day and evening parties. The fortress is the major object that attracts the visitors' attention in this region
Church St. Paul's and St. Peter's
The first Christian shrines in Kichevo were mentioned in the 5th and 6th century. There used to be three churches in Kichevo, which were demolished during Ottoman rule. The church St. Paul's and St. Peter's were built onto foundation of an older object in 1907, and it was consecrated in 1917. It was supplemented by a bell tower in 1943, and nowadays other external objects were restored and built up such as: a baptistery, dining-room and church library. The architectonic unity and its grander are reflection of both interior and exterior of the church.
A part of crucifixion cross of Jesus Christ is into the monastery foundation, also there are parts of it in the monastery foundations of St. Jovan (John) Bigorski and St. Gjorgji the Winner in the village Rajchica, Debar region. This knowledge is spoken widely among orthodox believers therefore this is overall conclusion referring to Macedonian monasteries and one more reason to visit these holy temples.
The First Macedonian Archbishop of reestablished ancient Ohrid Archbishopric, Mr. Mr. Dositej became a monk as the Macedonian reformer and educator Kiril Pejchinovikj had previously done. The Metropolitan of Polog and Kumanovo Mr. Cyril is the only member of the current Holy Synod of the MOCOA, which was a part of the Synod and the Third Macedonian church-national committee held on 17th of July, 1967 when the historical decision of canon re-establishment of the complete autocephalous of Ohrid Archbishopric as Macedonian Orthodox Church was made.
Holy Mother of God Monastery-Immaculate
Birth of the Holy Mother of God Monastery-Immaculate (14th century) a holy temple of both religions, under one roof 1 I besides Christian, there are Islamic ornaments as well
The monastery is dedicated to the date of birth of Holy Mother of God and its well-known name is Immaculate (named because of the holiday of The Holy Mother of God). It was built in 1316. It is located near Kichevo, on the mountain Cocan at 920 m altitude. Previously it was called monastery of Krnino, according to the same village, that had existed in its surrounding until the 19th century. Now, The Holy Mother of God Immaculate is a female monastery. The monastery was burnt down to its foundation in 1558, and the monks succeeded to save themselves using underground tunnels. The monastery possessed a seal in 1763. All monastery books were burnt in 1848 by the order of Debar-Greek metropolitan Meletij. However, the preaching was being continued in Slav language. The church dates back to 1850. This magnificent temple was built by Miyak masters of Dicho Zograf's group, he finished the altar space and thirty years later his son Avram finished the fresco painting which enchants with its beauty. The wonderful iconostasis as well as church books among which as more remarkable are The Four Gospels dates back the 14th century and The Psalter dates back the 15th century have a great value. There is a spring of holy water in the church, which is dedicated to St. Holy Mother of God. The first saints or more precisely three monks-martyrs dating back to the 14th century were canonized by Macedonian Orthodox Church-OA on 2nd August, 2012 in this monastery
The biggest monastery church in Macedonia, which is a part of the monastery complex, is dedicated to the Virgin. The monastery church is split in two parts, one is a Christian temple - church, and the other is a Muslim sacral space without frescoes, where people of Islamic faith used to pray and fulfill religious needs.